What is Tongue Tie?
Tongue tie (or Ankyloglossia) is caused by a malformation of the frenulum that causes the bottom of the tip of the tongue to be anchored to the mouth. This can lead to limited mobility and use of the tongue. Common symptoms of tongue tie include visual abnormality of the tongue, difficulty pronouncing certain sounds, prolonged dribbling, difficulty eating, and more. Tongue tie can run in families and more commonly affects boys. However, the causes of tongue tie are not completely known.
Not all breast-feeding complications are due to a lip tie or tongue tie but many can stem from it. Please consult with your IBCLC for a thorough examination so that you can be referred to the right doctor for proper treatment.
Does Your Child Have Tongue Tie?
Are you dealing with any of the following concerns?
- Breastfeeding is uncomfortable or painful
- You have had mastitis or recurrent plugged ducts
- Latch requires the use of a nipple shield
- Your nipple is misshapen after feeding
- Maintaining your blood supply has been challenging
Does your baby show any of the following signs?
- Clamps down or bites during feedings
- Has a diagnosis of Reflux or Colic
- Spits up frequently after feeding
- Constantly falls asleep during feeding and needs to be fed every hour
- Has excessive gas; foamy stools, excessive burping needed
- Does not have bowel movements every day
- Constant blisters or on the upper lip or chapped lips
- Challenged with slow weight gain or low output
- Resistive when restrained in semi recline in car seat
- Sleeps with head arched back
Does your toddler or young child have the following symptoms?
- Has trouble with speech, specifically words with “th” or “s” sounds
- Messy eater – food gets all over their face
- Picky eater particularly to foods with different textures
- Snores when sleeping
- Decay on upper four front teeth near the gum line
- Front four upper teeth have a rounded notch on the edge
- Does not like getting upper front teeth brushed
If any of the above symptoms sounds familiar, your child could be suffering from untreated tongue tie. Contact River Park Dental today to schedule a consultation!
Infant Tongue Tie Revisions
At River Park Dental, we provide tongue tie revisions to offer relief to children affected by the condition. There are a variety of potential side effects to untreated tongue tie, the severity of which depends on the extent of the malformation and how long it is left untreated. Tongue tie affects everyone differently. However, there are some common side effects, including:
- Difficulty breastfeeding
- Speech impediments
- Difficulty eating and drinking
- Poor oral hygiene
- Mouth and jaw pain
- Limited tongue mobility
In addition to the physical problems associated with tongue tie, it can also contribute to feelings of embarrassment and lowered self-confidence. By revising your child’s tongue tie while they’re still young, you’ll allow them to live a life free of the burdens and embarrassment caused by tongue tie. River Park Dental is pleased to offer tongue tie revision solutions that offer relief to patients affected by the condition.
Another potential issue to be aware of is lip tie. Similar to tongue tie, lip tie is caused by a malformed frenulum that limits the mobility of the lip. There is often an interplay in symptoms between tongue tie and lip tie, and the two can be treated concurrently through a team effort of our office, international board-certified lactation consultants (IBCLC), infant chiropractors, speech language pathologists, and myocranial consultants.
Why Use a CO2 Laser for Treatment?
- Less Bleeding – CO2 lasers seal blood vessels, limiting the amount of bleeding.
- Less Swelling – Laser treatment does not cause significant trauma because it does not tear tissue or heat tissue to 700 degrees Celsius like diode lasers.
- Less Risk – High intensity light destroys surface bacteria and lowers risk of infection.
- Less Discomfort – Less swelling means less pressure on surrounding tissue.
- Less Invasive – Pinpoint precision allows the selective removal of a few cells at a time.
- Less Time – A reduced risk of infection, bleeding, swelling, and discomfort allows for quicker recovery.
Looking for an Experienced and Caring Dentist?
At River Park Dental, you can receive a full range of high-quality dental solutions from our trained and certified dental professionals. Come experience the convenience of having all your oral health needs met in one dental office. Dr. Phing Saurer and her team have a commitment to offering the highest standard of care. We welcome new patients of all ages and are excited to meet you and your family.
“Two of my children had tongue tie and I struggled with breast feeding which made me feel like a failed my babies. It’s the worst feeling in the world when you feel like you aren’t doing everything for your baby. This frustration motivated me to help other mothers who also struggle with Tongue Tied babies.”
Let Dr. Saurer offer relief for your child’s tongue or lip tie. She has traveled across the country to be trained by the following world-renowned leading experts in Tongue Tie Revision:
- Lawrence Kotlow, DDS
- A renowned ENT in Portland
- Robert Convissar, DDS
- Marty Kaplan, DMD
Dr. Saurer is a member of the following prestigious associations:
- United States Lactation Consultant Association (USLCA)
- Ohio Lactation Consultant Association (OLCA)
- International Association of Tongue Tie-Professionals (IATP)
- International Lactation Consultants Association (ILCA)
- Academy of Laser Dentistry
- Dr. Saurer has also applied to be a Tongue-Tie Lip-Tie Support Network Preferred Provider
Dr. Saurer is proud to offer tongue tie revisions using the Solea CO2 Dental Laser, the safest and most effective standard in care. Contact us today to learn more! Contact our office for an appointment today. Your child will be in good hands!